Saturday, January 3, 2015

Chained to the Past

I hate the person I used to be. He stole years from my life and made decisions that have permanent consequences. When I think about the person I was and who I was involved with, it makes me mad. It makes me angry that I could have been that stupid. It infuriates me when I look at the entire situation and begin to think "what if...?" 

Then there's my beautiful fiancee'. She, too, had years stolen from her by sin. It makes me just as angry when I think about what she went through. The fact is, all of us that have been truly rescued have had to deal with the fact that we lost years that could have been spent praising our Lord and living for Him. Many of us carry regrets of things we lost, relationships that were permanently damaged, family that we should have been there for, and much more. 

It's easy to dwell on the past from time to time, or more frequently for that matter. But it's also a lie. Lies got us into the sin that we enjoyed for a time, and lies keep us chained to it once we've been set free. It's just a tool of Satan himself to keep us from sharing God's incredible love story for us. These are the verses that I fall back on time and time again to remind me that what Christ has done for me, for my lovely future bride, and for those that He has redeemed. 

Micah 7:19 - You will again have compassion on us; You will tread on our sins underfoot and hurl our iniquities into the depths of the sea.  

2 Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has gone. Behold, the new has come!

These two verses remind me so much of how Christ has pursued us, redeemed us, and separated us from our sin that I used them when I proposed. For both my Princess and me, they are a constant reminder that we are not who we once were and that we are both seen as righteous, holy, and pure by our Father. That applies for you as well. The next time that you're feeling chained by the sinful grip of your past or you are having trouble seeing past that of those that you love, remember these two promises from Scripture and ask God to help you see again from that perspective. He will be faithful to you in that as He has been in separating you from your sin to begin with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment